12-25-2017, 05:52 AM   #7
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx10guy View Post
With data networks, it will always be under "construction". The issue at hand here is how the system here in the States have been allowed to evolve. Lifting the net neutrality restrictions will not all of a sudden cause the handful of ISPs, and in particular, the one or two of them that operate in local "open" markets to start shelling out tons of capital to upgrade their infrastructure/improve their service.

What should happen and the anti-government meddling crowd will be up in arms about this is to have a publically owned infrastructure which provides the wiring up to your home/business. The other end terminates into a smaller MAE/colo site where the ISPs can run their backbones in to. From there the ISPs would connect into the publically owned infrastructure to provide final service into the Internet. This allows maximum choice as the ISP won't own the lines to your home and reduces expenditures for ISPs to drop backbones into their own networks. As a consumer, you would just say I want Comcast or Time Warner or Verizon or.....who ever has done the investment to pull a connection into your MAE/colo for your area. A setup like this would be as close to a free open market than the sham system we have in place now.
Electricity is a public-owned utility in many respects. The local electric company charges you on a use basis, and charges you on a use-based rate structure. Seems all to work out in the end.

I found the OP's linked article to be pointless. It is writing about Net Neutrality in 2017 when autonomous cars are not even a reality (all we have now are engineering development models). How data will be transmitted to AVs 25 years from now is mostly unknown at this point in time and I'm pretty sure whatever Government regulations that will be conjured up in 2045 to manipulate the internet have yet to be dreamed up by people not yet born.

My 2 cents.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0