View Single Post
      07-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #50
DoD74
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M View Post
I think M purists need to get over the branding. With the M cars available there will be some great cars true to the racing M heritage, and then others that aren't .... it isnt that difficult to pick them ...it is just a badge after all and one shouldn't buy a car based on a badge!
I think that hits the nail on the head. There are plenty of people out there who buy the badge, and you can't blame BMW for taking their money. IF there is a way to make profit, a company will do so. I don't buy BMW for the badge, I buy BMW for the combination of luxury, comfort, and the warranty and no service maintenance. It's still good value to me when you roll all of the factors into it. As someone who grew up loving the M3 and M5, yes I hope they keep those models pure to their heritage, but adding to the "M line" doesn't make me hate BMW. As long as the M3 and M5 continue to set the bar in their markets like the have historically, then I don't care if the M makes it's way onto other cars. I think everyone agrees that the new M5 (F10) is an incredible machine, and putting an M badge on a 7 Series won't change that. Judge a car on the merits of that car, and not the badge it wears...