03-30-2009, 12:20 AM   #9
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3s-a-charm View Post
Speed limit detection... another strange electronic gadget to leave off the option list.
They (BMW) developed this feature for the German market. Early reports stated that BMW would NOT make this feature available for the North American market due to the wide range of different speed signs used in this market. If you look closely, you will recognize that the speed limit sign as indicated by the video clip, is a round sign with a red border. This is a German speed sign and NOT a North American type of speed sign. I don't think that this feature has been enabled in the North American market models.

The interesting part here is that this is all just software since the hardware is already in the car (that is if you have the lane departure warning option). So this may be upgradable in future software versions if BMW decides to make this option available here.

The system tries to recognize the speed limit posted via a camera in the front of the center rear view mirror and compares it to data stored in the navigation system. If the two match up, it will show you the posted speed limit in the dashboard and will let you know if you are going faster than the posted speed limit.
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0