View Single Post
      03-07-2024, 04:00 PM   #5
Raimo5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrby View Post
Ohh that’s very interesting! I do have a Hybrid so that may be why the temperature is so much different in the morning. So your saying for non-hybrid cars if the temp is above 15c/60f the preconditioning does not turn on A/C, it only ventilates outside air into the cabin. For my hybrid 745e when it’s preconditioning, the AC is actually on when I get into my car, even if the outside temperature is only 67°F. I was thinking that the preconditioning would be set to the temperature that my thermostat was last set on but maybe it just puts it on full blast when it’s above 15c/60f. Again in a month or so when it’s hotter this would be fine, but for right now in the morning it’s only around 67°F. When I get in the car the AC is going full blast and it feels like 60° or less, plus seat ventilation set on max, and I’m only wearing shorts and a T-shirt so it’s quite a shock. I’m going to put a smart thermometer in the cabin to see exactly what’s going on there when it’s preconditioning. Thanks for the info!

Thanks for clarifying that. Also, is it a new occurrence or has it been like this all along? Do you have heating/cooling issues during driving as well or only during preconditioning?

And yes, with internal combustion cars there is no additional conditioning of incoming air. It's just not possible as A/C compressor is driven by a belt off the engine crank pulley, and engine is not turned on for that purpose. Exception would be cars with option SA1CR. For hybrids, they install electric compressors, as you can cover long distances with ICE never having to turn on. With A/C compressor producing cold air during preconditioning, then I would assume it would follow the set temperature in HVAC control panel and not overcook it. At least with heating option (below 15c/60f) it does that. Perhaps set higher temperatures on HVAC panel and disable A/C button for a test one night to see how it behaves next morning when you precondition. Oh and does it also ventilate seats during preconditioning? I didn't know it does that.

Last edited by Raimo5; 03-07-2024 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0