08-31-2009, 02:19 PM   #14
hayden
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 750Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiroman View Post
I'm loving the matte trim more and more - it adds a nice touch of understated taste, elegance and distinctiveness to an all-black interior.

Continue to have a very enjoyable (and eventful) European vacation!
Thanks Spiroman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post
Absolutely stunning car and photos!
Thanks sopa489!

-----

We spent the day around town in Milan. A note to anyone planning a visit... avoid Mondays! Every museum in town is closed on Mondays, and many restaurants are as well. The good shops don't even open until 3PM. We did ok since we slept in, had a late breakfast at 10:30, and then spent the morning in the touresty areas (Duomo, etc):

Inside the Duomo:

We had a fantastic lunch at the Park Hyatt cafe with a view of the Galleria. It was exactly 3PM by the time we were ready to head down the main shopping streets (Monte Napoleone, etc).

My wife found some shoes (Dior) and blouses (Massimo Dutti) - but I abstained. Massimo Dutti is one of our favorite stores (classic and casual italian - not high-end like Armani, etc)... but it can't be found in the US. Can't imagine why they haven't opened one.

In the evening we used the pool here at the hotel and took it easy the rest of the night.

On the issue of hotels - had I the ability of a mulligan - I would probably book someplace else. The Hotel Principe di Savoia is very elegant and classy. It has the Grand Dame look and feel. The other hotels I would consider would be the Four Seasons or Park Hyatt (both more expensive than the Savoia). Both of those are directly next to the major sites. (The Principe di Savoia, however, does provide a nice e-class limo to and from the sites every 15 minutes which is nice).

We are in a "Elegant Suite" here which is a nice size with intricate wood panelling and fabric wall coverings. The bathroom has a seperate shower and tub:

The room is elegant, but a bit tired. Perhaps its the fact we just came from another old hotel (Villa D'Este) - where the bathroom was also old with a shared tub/shower - but there we didn't care with that view!

Lobby lounge downstairs:

Anxious for our drive tomorrow to Monte-Carlo. Can't wait to get behind the wheel again. We will be staying at the Metropole (we changed from the Hotel de Paris). Good thing as I probably couldn't take 3 of these style hotels in a row!

Appreciate 0