Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991/RR Sport AB

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
What issues do you have with the 21" on your E65?
The wheels always felt bent, even after i had them checked for bends. The car had the sport pack and the 21s. The roads here aren't Southern Florida perfect but they aren't NYC bad either so I can't blame the roads. I don't mind a harsh ride [I mean come on I drive a 335 sport which is hard as a rock] but it wasn't so much harsh as it was almost shaky. We loved the way they looked so we kept them but i knew the car could ride better on equally good looking 07-08 sport package 20inchers than on the 21s. Not to mention we were replacing the rears every 10k for $1100 and it needed alignment about every 10k as well. The fronts usually lasted about 15k. In 28 months and 31000 miles we spent about $6000 in tires and alignment. That's a little under $3000 a year. I understand there is a compromise when you have bigger wheels but thats borderline ridiculous, and it's like I was spending the money, my parents were. My mom speeds and definitely doesn't drive like an old man but she doesn't tear it up like I do. The tires would have been done even sooner had it been driven like I drove it.

With the F01 on run-flats it would be at least $3000 a year in tires and alignment if we bought the 312s , on a car we're leasing and know will be getting rid of in [now] 32 months.

With the 19s I find the ride a bit floaty, even in sport, and in fact if I'm not the one driving it often makes me a little car sick. My mom doesn't mind but my dad and I both agreed that if it was either of our every day cars we would have to put the 21s on to try and counteract the floaty-ness despite the added cost.

But as the saying goes, "Happy wife, happy life" so my dad is just keeping it at that. It's a lot cheaper.
Appreciate 0