View Single Post
      09-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #10
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

They teach the basics.

I've shopped around my specific area, and it is not true that the high end techs always make more money.

You could be a diesel or transmission overhaul tech at Chrysler and make over $40 flat rate near me. You could work at Porsche and make $27. You could make $33 at Hyundai. The numbers are all over the place. I used to think you make more as the brand becomes more prestigious , but that isn't always the case. I know Mercedes techs can make over $120k near me but they worked at that specific dealer for well over a decade and work all day long. It took lots of years to MAYBE make 6 figures. Meanwhile a dummy at Honda can crank out timing belts and services all day and make 80k with very little investment in tools.

Your mileage may vary, but I've been doing this a while and I know people employed throughout my area. As a TECH , it is generally less stressful to work on Asian cars. You do not get compensated fairly enough for working on the euro cars unless it's a busy independent.

A BMW dealer tried to hire me when I had my e90 m3 in for throttle actuators under warranty a year ago.
Manager offered me less than I make at a Hyundai store! No thanks
Appreciate 1
wdb4732.00