Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 435 x drive msport

Garage List
2006 Bmw 325XI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddots View Post
They teach the basics.

I've shopped around my specific area, and it is not true that the high end techs always make more money.

You could be a diesel or transmission overhaul tech at Chrysler and make over $40 flat rate near me. You could work at Porsche and make $27. You could make $33 at Hyundai. The numbers are all over the place. I used to think you make more as the brand becomes more prestigious , but that isn't always the case. I know Mercedes techs can make over $120k near me but they worked at that specific dealer for well over a decade and work all day long. It took lots of years to MAYBE make 6 figures. Meanwhile a dummy at Honda can crank out timing belts and services all day and make 80k with very little investment in tools.

Your mileage may vary, but I've been doing this a while and I know people employed throughout my area. As a TECH , it is generally less stressful to work on Asian cars. You do not get compensated fairly enough for working on the euro cars unless it's a busy independent.

A BMW dealer tried to hire me when I had my e90 m3 in for throttle actuators under warranty a year ago.
Manager offered me less than I make at a Hyundai store! No thanks
Now When I would go look for a Job would I better at a dealership or an indie shop. I have a large amount of both around mei
Appreciate 0