MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddots View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Dealership is good if you want to learn. When the independents can't figure out a car, it gets sent to us. You work on it till it's fixed, period. Even if it takes a full week to find an issue.

Agree on the parts swappers. There are many techs that I work with that I would not let touch any car of mine. Those guys are also the highest paid here, they are here strictly to make money.

I can't be any help with you getting started, it is quite different here in Canada. But we actually get paid by the gov't to go to school for our apprenticeship.

Also plan on spending some coin on tools, mine are worth about $70k.

Also agree on the high end does not equal higher pay. Around here, most shops pay about the same flat rate, Audi is a straight time shop though. The higher end you go, the more electrical bullshit you are diagnosing/tracing etc etc etc. You are making straight time doing electrical diag, that is a shitty way to try and make a living. Simpler the better.
If you are willing to go past the "b" level, you will get good at electrical problems. Even a lowly Kia/Hyundai will have the same issues as a benz. Eventually you will get to the point where your employer WILL compensate you for the time you lose with those jobs.
I find it easier to negotiate a base pay(ex: 100 hours per pay period). It is that in between phase that can be painful, but you will make it work out if you know how to deal with the owner/service manager.

Tools!!!
You don't need to spend the big bucks on snap on, but eventually you will appreciate some of their hand tools.

I have a snap on box that is worth more than almost all the cars I work on. And that doesn't include what is INSIDE!!!! Lol
Ya, nobody in this city gets a minimum pay. Flat rat, period. Out of work? Go home with your two hours. My point with the higher end stuff is that there are twice as many modules on the networks, so there is twice as much problems chasing networks pulled to ground or completely dead. I made more money working at Honda than Acura, but I left due to politics and the shop was not air conditioned. Would be so exhausted after a good day I would not even eat dinner and just collapse in bed.

Luckily my tool cabinets are supplied, we have all built in boxes/cabinets. Sucks because it limits the amount of tools I can fit in them, but, I don't have to pay for them.

Having lunch and probably headed home. Luckily I made my 12 already this morning doing a CPO.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 09-21-2017 at 01:41 PM..
Appreciate 0