United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
According to this old thread, Bimmerpost had received confirmation from BMW that the Active Sound in the F8X is "a live amplification of the S55 engine's natural sounds. There is no artificially generated sound or pre-recorded track being played."

Same for this article where BMW is quoted saying "Critically, there will also be no artificial sound generation – the electronic noise (which BMW calls Active Sound) will instead simply be a real-time amplification of induction noises actually produced by the engine."

I did not find any source that confirms otherwise

This was the post that I was referring to and is written post production, not pre-production like the ones that you mention.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...76&postcount=1

In this post it says "Speaking of sound, I struggled initially with the idea of having any kind of ‘Active Sound’ in an M car. Through first hand conversation with Albert Biermann, head of BMW M, I confirmed that active sound operates on an algorithm with multiple parameters including: throttle position, engine speed and engine load. From these values, the system calculates synthetic engine sounds to be projected into the cabin to accompany the mechanical soundtrack. Albert said that the intention was to provide greater engine speed feedback to the driver to compensate for the more muffled sound of the turbo engine."
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0