View Single Post
      04-21-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

mTEC V2 LED Angel Eyes Review

Hello 7ers. As promise, this is my full review of the latest mTEC V2 LED angel eyes kit for the F01/F02 (pre-LCI of course).

Coming from an F10 to a 2012 F02, I was very upset with the yellow lifeless angel eyes. So I did tons of research on multiple forums, to find out that no one has successfully installed LED angel eyes on a 2012 F01/F02 without error (2012 computer is more sensitive compared to 2009-2011). Some use HID, which seems very messy to wire (fire hazard). Some use halogen bulbs, to find out that it's not brighter compared to stock bulbs (just a bit less yellow, and halogen dim when the headlights are on making it even more yellow).

My research leads me to the new mTEC V2 LED angel eyes kit. This version is brighter compared to the V1, and it is now tested with the 2012 F01/F02 (I was one of the gunea pigs). Each V2 driver produces 9w (Powering each H8 with 4xCREE 3w LEDs) and over 1,100 lumens of light (much brighter compared to stock).

Ordering: I got my set from Steve @ mTEC Lighting USA for $220shipped. They arrive quickly and Steve is very responsive to my list of questions even after the sale. His website will not show the V2, since he's trying to get rid of old inventory.

Install: Remove the angel eyes bulb cover, unplug the H8, remove the stock H8 bulb. Insert the driver where space allows (as shown in my photo), install the LED H8 (not it goes in as a "T" shape). Plug everything up, install the cover, and then you're done. (should take you 5-15min). No tools required.

**For the 2009-2011 models, you'll need to install both the driver and the resister. For my 2012, I just install the driver and threw the away the resister. Notice I use Velcro to secure the driver, I didn't want rattling noise from it bouncing around.

Impression: The mTEC V2 LEDs light up all 4 rings fully, with bright and clean white light. Compared to using halogen white bulbs, the rings color doesn't change to amber when your headlights are on. As you see on one of the photos, I compared my pre-LCI 7 with mTEC to my E70 LCI which comes factory with LEDs. The 7's AEs seem brighter compared to the E70 LCI and almost as bright as my old F10. I'm 100% satisfied with the light output. Best of all, no error.

Enjoy the photos. I hope you find my review helpful. Cheers. - Jimmy Win
Attached Images

Last edited by JNoSol; 04-26-2013 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0