Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexlocator View Post
Thanks for the great review on the AF system of the 5d4. I'm on the fence between the new mark 4 and a used 1DX (about the same price point). I use to shoot a 5d2 (still have it), but switched to the Sony A7r2 to lighten my gear for outings. I kept all of my L glasses though and have been itching to get back with Canon. For me AF is #1 priority, and the Sony is just not up to par with their mirrored rivals, especially with any form of fast action.

I was leaning towards the 1DX, but it's big form factor may be an issue.
I probably didn't say enough about the files from the 5D4. The resolution is stunning. The 1DX is champ if your ISO routinely goes above 6400, but, up to that point, the resolution of the 5D4 takes the day. Also, the quality of the noise with the 5D4 is relatively benign.

The reason to get the 1DX is if you're shooting sports in low light and routinely need more than ISO 6400 and you need the higher fps. I really like 10-fps and higher, but I'm willing to settle for the 5D4's 7-fps, even for birds in flight.

Also, I did more shooting with the EF 2.0x TC-III last night. I had feeding gulls so close that I had trouble keeping them in the frame at 1000mm. This was in good light and the AF locked on quickly and tracked well. Still, for fast moving targets, you can expect around 30% to 40% OOF. I think that with the 1DX, that'll drop to 10% to 20%. Realize that's an extreme stress case, with a super-telephoto and a TC on a 1000mm. ONLY the 5D4 and the !D-series will pass this test.

Let us know what you do.