View Single Post
      05-05-2013, 12:04 AM   #6
MKBMF01
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw 750i f01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
I got tired of looking at the rusting brake calipers and anti-rattle clips. I can't believe brake parts are starting to rust on a 2012 750Li. I noticed the new 6 series Gran Coupe comes with black painted calipers and I really like the look. After reading lots of reviews, I went with G2 Brake Calipers Paint - Black. I got the set from eBay for less than $40 (covershield is the seller, ships within a week). Other than the kit, I bought a 1" paint brush to cover larger surface faster.

Prep: Jack one side of the vehicle up until that wheel is off the ground about 4in. Insert a jack stand in the cross member support (under the motor) to support the weight so both wheels are off the ground. Remove the front brake anti-rattle clips (not the rear) and the rubber caps from all 4 bleeder valves. Use a dremel with a wire brush head, go over the surface to be painted to remove rust and dirt. Use a scotch brite pad, go over all the hard to reach places that will be painted. Spray the calipers down with the supplied can of brake cleaner and wait for 5min to dry. Tape off (3m masking tape) anywhere you don't want paint on, including the rotors and valves. Mix the paint with the activator as supplied (notice the paint can comes half full, which is by design and it's more than enough for 3 coats in all 4 corners). Stir for 5min to activate the paint.

Paint: Use the smaller supplied brush to outline and reach hard places (short strokes). Then go over with the 1" brush to smooth things out (long strokes). The first coat will show some non-painted surface. You'll need to paint a total of 3 coats, waiting 15min between coats so alternate left and right side. Remove masking tape after 15min from painting the 3rd coat. (You will paint the clips during the step as well, separated from the calipers). Install the front wheels back without touching the calipers (the clips remain off the calipers for drying). Jack the rear of the car, repeat the prep/paint process as the front but don't remove the clips in the rear. Wait 24hrs, reinstall the caliper anti-rattle clips in front and bleeder valve covers for all 4s. Apply anti-seize on all lugs, and then torque the wheels down at 90-95ft lb per lug.

Remember: Don't wet the first coat, it will cause paint over run. These are self-leveling paint. You can't see details once the wheels are back on. Don't be too hard on yourself to get it perfect. Use good lighting when prepping and paint. You only have 4-6hrs before the paint becomes unusable. One kit is enough, don't attempt to order two unless it will take you 4hrs to do the front.

Here's the end result (first photo is after I remove the masking tape, the clips remain off the calipers for another 24hrs)...

What do you guys think about gold on my car's callipers? Yay or No?
Appreciate 0