11-17-2017, 07:12 PM   #12
RABAUKE
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2014 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Again, those commitments have been fruitful thus far. If Tesla's semi is what Musk claims it will be, and it can make ground shipping not only cheaper but less polluting, then it helps more than just Tesla's bottom line. Ground transportation is the backbone of our economy.... literally. Even driving our goods and equipment to the airport and docks!

Now, if it's not, then there is a discussion to be made. However, those subsidies are not attached with stipulations for a successful semi truck that meets x y, and z requirements outside for what the subsidies were designed to do: stimulate sector growth. Even if the semi's fall short, they are one step closer than before they existed. Do you think the first automobile ever invented was 425hp and got 26mpg? Progress starts with the first step.

I understand you want to debate and discuss "tax dollars", but if you are planning to use the success or failure of the Tesla Semi as a barometer for the effectiveness of federal subsidies in the EV sector, then honestly I think you have the wrong idea of what these subsidies were created for.

The government will not ban the ICE if the overall EV sector does not deliver. If they deliver what is needed for our infrastructure to survive and thrive, then it is a possibility. However, what they will NOT do is make a decision to ban or not ban the ICE on what Tesla claims their product will do. It will make those decisions based on what they actually do once produced and delivered. And even in that case, it will not be Tesla alone, it will be every manufacturer in the world who has a product for this sector and what their role it in will be.

It's a bit premature to even talk about banning the ICE, whether you are for or against it. It's kind of like talking about and debating whether or not to bring an umbrella outside tomorrow. Will it rain? Will it not? You know what, lets just look outside when we are about to leave and pick up the umbrella on the way out the door. Why have a debate about it a day before?

Honestly, I think it's just an excuse for people to, once again, complain about where their "tax dollars" are going. Hipster electric cars and environmentalist snowflakes are much easier to fixate on then the MIC.

edit: You are right though, you should be able to discuss them if you wish. I question some people's motivation, however, when they talk about "tax dollars" yet don't seem to know what the proportions of allocations are.
I don't disagree with much of what you say, except that Germany and I believe England have both committed to the banning of ICE's in the not to distant future. I suspect that won't happen anytime soon in the US of A, but I can see the drift in that direction in Canukistan.
Appreciate 0