View Single Post
      07-17-2017, 07:30 AM   #57
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightrudder View Post
It's hard to beat the established petroleum infrastructure, arguments about efficiency aside. Especially with fuel as cheap as it is currently. I think as petroleum supplies dwindle, its use in making plastics will far outweigh propelling vehicles. I'm just glad that the total transition won't occur in my lifetime. Maybe an autonomous electric car would be the ticket when I'm 90 and unable to pass the driving test, but for the foreseeable future it's hydrocarbons over electrons.
True and global reserves continue to increase. The global reserve number is not how much oil there is in the world. It is how much oil that is accessible. Global oil reserves dropped by 1/3 When Obama shut down federal lands to new oil harvesting. Techniques such as tar sand and fracking brought most of that back. Anwr alone in Alaska could provide 80 years of oil demand in the US. Etc etc etc. Then throw in we could overnight switch to an unlimited renewable fuel source in ethanol like Brazil has, I don't see the concern.
Appreciate 0