View Single Post
      04-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
Fundguy1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 335 e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by antych View Post
I think you need to go back to school and learn about units. Your question makes no sense. There's no such thing as 580 torque and you can't compare two different things measured in different units. It's like saying that 780 litres of milk is more than 580 meters of rope.
Yes and no. Torque is thrust. Hp is torque x rpm basically. So depending on your torque curve, if you make your torque early in the rpm range, you will have higher torque numbers and a good launch. If you make the torque later in the curve, you will make higher hp numbers and have power later after you're moving. Ideally you want a flat torque curve so you have the thrust evenly over a broad range of rpms. My 335i e93 is like that. Flat torque curve, 675 rwhp, 650 rwtq. Also, remember torque is different at the engine than at the wheels. The drivetrain typically leaches 10-20% of the power. Rotating mass, transmission type, etc. Reduce a car makers engine numbers by 15% or so to see about what rwhp/rwtq are for comparisons.
Appreciate 0