08-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #17
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
I completely agree about rather having the exclusivity of an Alpina. It is kind of a tough spot when it comes to cranking up the wick on the N74 though. It doesn't make sense for a non-alpina or M car to make more power than it's "special" counterpart. I find it even more odd that the 760 has a higher MSRP than the Alpina.

Also... I love that car but, when the hell are they going to put a proper set of brake calipers on one. $125K+, 5000lb car that accelerates like an M3 and still has sliding calipers. Come on. What can I say BMW kind of boggles my mind lately.
What do you expect to gain from "better" brakes on a 7 series? They won't make it stop any quicker, the only benefit of bigger brakes would be increased resistance to fade since the brake disc and caliper mainly function as heat sinks.

I drove an F01 750i very hard through my favorite twisty road back when they first came out and the car's brakes held up just fine, since I doubt a 7 series will ever find its way onto a race track, I'd say the brakes are just fine and bigger ones would add unnecessary weight, get in the way of ride quality, add cost, etc.
Appreciate 0