Thread: USB Hard Drives
View Single Post
      01-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #7
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

If you have the BMW assist system setup, I think it may work but I'm not sure. The car is capable of detecting album, song and artist information and get the necessary info from gracenotes automatically. I have never used this feature as I always convert my songs to mp3s and label them via iTunes. I'm not sure if the car is still capable of detecting and labeling each song if you rip the CDs onto a HDD first. That's something you would have to try. I assume that access to gracenotes would require either direct internet access from the car (as it is possible in Germany and some other countries but not in the US or in Canada at the moment) or it may actually work via the BMW assist network?!? Again, this is something you would have to try. Personally, I prefer to label the songs the way I want to see them listed and not what a program or other people labeled them as...
What program are you thinking of using to transfer your CDs onto the HDD?
Also, the HDD you intend on using may or may not work as per my previous post (#2 above) due to the power draw on the USB port. You can give it a try and see if it works... Just remember that if the drive does draw to much power, it may get shut down in the middle of a transfer. Not sure how the car would handle an interrupted file transfer... Keep us posted on your endeavor...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0