02-22-2017, 02:55 PM   #474
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo View Post
I have 2 x SRM, a power2max type s and a Quarq D-Zero. Thanks buddy.
I'm fairly new to cycling, (14 months) but my wife and all her friends have been doing triathlon for 10+ years. I'm still amazed at how the power requirements increase exponentially once past an average 20-22 mph.

My wife's 1h FTP is 190 (with hub power meter, probably 200 at the crank) and she can knock out a 40k in 58 min. (she's 5'10" and 72k) That's a hell of a lot of additional power requirement to knock off another 10 min in order to reach your 40k PR. Hard work indeed.

I find it super interesting how a sport accessible to anyone has such a huge disparity between recreational, Cat 1, Pro 1/2 and World-class riders. For the determined, the sport offers the eternal carrot dangling in front of you. For as badly as i would like to have a 380FTP, you likely just as badly want a 420FTP and the amount of work for me to reach 380 from 280 is likely the same or less than it is for you to increase by just 40w.

Add in the varied disciplines.... endurance, TT, Criterium, road, climber, sprinter, etc.... that one can hone and it's no wonder cycling is a life long sport. Only took me 42 years to get into it. lol