02-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #39
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

[QUOTE=Frosty;11407547]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
While I don't necessarily agree with you on all of that, there is a definitely a good point being made here.

The fact is that the automotive industry is being legislated into a highly regulated, optimally functioning machine, while other industries are left alone to continue in their traditional "un-green" fashion. As I recall, automobiles contribute only about 20% of all greenhouse gases, yet the sources of the other 80% are not facing nearly as much scrutiny. In short, we are spending a lot of money optimizing the wrong part of the infrastructure. You can build a zero emissions car that uses no oil at all, but if you are still powering everything else - the machines to obtain the raw materials; the factories that turn those materials into parts; the boats, trucks, and trains responsible for the transportation of those materials; and the assembly plants that build the car - with unsustainable energy sources, then you are not really solving any problem.

Very, Very well stated. The trick in all industry on the eco front is to push the burden of the ecological damage on the consumer to induce guilt, then offer a "solution" in buying their products.... this is not regarding BMW specifically but those responsible for the overwhelming % of polluting are not consumers ~Frost
Frost makes an excellent point. Overall, the "industry" is pushing the responsiblity/guilt on the consumer, instead of fixing the problem at the stem, because they know that many of the consumers will pay the price to say they are doing their part for a cleaner Earth and securing their own peace of mind at the same time.

This is a sad process, but such is life. Most corparations, organizations and Governments continue and have been operating in this manner since way before any of us have been born, lol