03-17-2024, 11:14 AM   #75
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by a0krn View Post
This is what happens when you try to keep a design for the sake of history. A design that is fundamentally not needed anymore but need to keep because it’s iconic and recognizable.

But man if they can’t make it look good, it’ll just make the brand eat its own fingers. I’m sure anyone can look at that and say they can design that nose better.

If they wanted fresh look, maybe get rid of that grill design altogether and design entirely new one.
Agreed.

All these elements: grilles, enclosed headlights, kidney beans - they should be thrown in the history bin. They were once functional and essential elements of the car, and are now obsolete.

Cooling needs can be satisfied on an EV with discrete elements in the lower part of the body. Kidney beans are now only useful in the kitchen. And the advent of LED lighting should give complete design freedom for the front end.

Lighted infinity mirrors for headlights and grille? That concept was cool for about 30 seconds when it came out, and is now a staple of karaoke bars.

Instead we get these strange mismatched or downright grotesque designs lacking any creativity. Who wants their smartphone to look like a cross between an old TV set, a cassette tape and a radio receiver?

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 2
Xtabi1711.00
a0krn31.50