01-15-2015, 07:23 AM   #16
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc123 View Post
I just got my new 2014 750Li two weeks ago so I'm pretty new to the forum and BMW in general. In all my previous cars, I used to change the oil every 2,500-3,000 miles. It seems that oil change for the Bimmer is between 10k-15k miles depending on the driving style. Even though the newer cars have a lot of electronics, mechanical parts do exist and are responsible for the physical movement of the car. I just cannot make peace and allow myself to destroy the engine by changing the oil every 10k+ miles. I know i'm paranoic about this and usually do end up changing the oil sooner than most people but I just cannot accept changing it at more than 10k miles regardless of what synthetic oil they put in.

Does anyone have any comments on this topic?
The rule of thumb is, since BMW gives you a free oil change @ 1yr/15k miles... I would do a mid service oil change at 7500 miles but NOT reset the CBS so that when u reach 1yr/15k miles they will do the free oil change.

generally you are not using dino oil, you are using synthetics... The only true way to know when is a good time to change is by doing a used oil analysis. My other rule of thumb for my using Mobil1 0-40 euro LL-01 5qt jugs from walmart, your car can drive 1000 miles per liter of oil you store in the motor. So if your car holds 7qts of motor oil... Then i would be comfortable going 7000 miles before changing the oil.

I have done 10k intervals on my 335xi with no issues
Appreciate 0