Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
This one isn't the video in the manual but seems somewhat similar.

Indeed when it's split in the case of this video the split one needs to be weaker because there's a car coming anyway however the right light that's still straight is still the laser light? The video in the manual is a bit better, maybe you can pop your VIN in to get it on your phone to see what I mean.

Yeah I wouldn't bother paying to retrofit the laser lights. In the original i8 though they were an £8k option so the price has come down a lot already for the technology. You can get lasers as an option on the Range Rover Velar I think was their first car.

Not yet mainsteam of course, my guess is maybe the LCI refresh for the current 5 series might have them as an option. It'll be ages until it filters down to the 3 series though.
One key point that I'll try to pay more attention to in future...seems obvious but is subtle so I'll check and come back to you...the high beams need to be on (obviously for the lasers to work)...again, when the voodoo beam is activated, in my experience, the high beam goes off...(the blue light is not illuminated in the dash)...even when the car is quite far away, so lasers won't be active then...but in a straight road condition (for you Northerners) it may actually stay on high beam and keep the laser on the one side while splitting and voodooing the other beam in non laser mode...

I think there have only been a very few times when the beams don't dip to low with beam splitting for me so far...hence why I am not seeing the lasers as well in this mode...need a good straight section of road or one that doesn't bend too much then the headlights/taillights of other vehicles may allow the high beam to stay on and therefore the lasers to be on...

One to check next time I'm out in the dark...(literally! ) I don't appear to have a laser video...only text. I have an adaptive video in the manual but not one for laser high beam headlights...So, you've made them add videos to your manual as well FLJB!

Best to let someone else drive the car first time around...it may be set to self destruct given the extra work you've made them do!