c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Thanks for this. I didn't have time to to read the fine print for the Porsche plan.

Personally , I tend to buy to own whether I buy used or new as I have a " particular set of skills" that I want from my vehicles, so I'm definitely not a candidate for such a program.

I agree that the bmw program likely won't stray too far from the zipcar and Porsche model just as Enterprise doesn't sell rental cars much differently than Hertz.

Based on that, I'm sure that MGM135is is probably already out also, even if awarded unicorn status, since he doesn't like the mere idea of being grouped with other unicorns. EDIT- Speaking additionally on the insurance side... When speaking of spread of risk... this is referring to the MACRO level of understanding that having ALL people insured, actually REDUCES the cost of insurance for ALL people that have insurance - ( a known fact). Meanwhile, perhaps unbeknownst to many, insurance companies ALREADY place their policyholders in groups that are more similar. There are age groups, vehicle groups by engine size, matrices based on availability of parts, matrices on theft ratios, zip code, weather pattern, loss history, etc. The combinations of these are so varied that there are people that get paid to do this for a living. They are called actuaries. It's not like insurance take a bunch of money and throw it into the same pot to pay for claims. Insurers even separate large groups of clients into preferred risk, normal risk, and assigned risk categories, among many. Names such as Mutual, County Mutual, State and County Mutual, Casualty, Fire and Casualty etc are names that are used for these separate pools that insurance companies separate drivers into on a larger level as well. You will know when you've reached unicorn status when your insurance company issues a policy to you with LLOYD'S as the company name.

The same is true of course when it comes to health insurance. One of the problems with insurance in the united states is the politicizing of insurance which creates a lack of understanding of how complex the industry is. Health Insurance companies are literally lobbying to prevent a national health care system, which in turn allows them to charge higher premiums due to the costs from so many people being UNINSURED. A rising tide raises all boats. Meanwhile, auto insurance and home/renters insurance are compulsory and we all for the most part, understand why.
I don’t mind not being somebody’s unicorn. I typically buy anyway because I drive too many miles.
Appreciate 0