View Single Post
      07-01-2023, 04:04 PM   #3
bmwz750
Rep
Drives: BMW G11 750D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo5 View Post
Hello, and welcome to BimmerPost.

Style 647M actually comes in two different flavors. It can either be 8,5Jx19 all around with 245/45/19 in all corners, or a staggered setup with 9,5Jx19 with 275/40/19 at rear. If you have 8,5J wheels all around then you are running oversized tires on the rear wheels.

G11/12 was designed with max front tire width of 245mm, regardless of wheel size. That is why we have staggered setups starting with 19" wheels. Fitting anything wider in front can have severe impact on handling and clearances.

xDrive wont be damaged by slight mismatch of tires. The car is smart enough to do compensations on the fly based on feedback systems, but the initial maps that might be deployed during DSC regulations might be skewed.

The more you deviate, the worse it gets, up to a point where you might receive drivetrain or DSC errors and shutdown of different facilities like power transfer to front wheels and degraded stability protection.

Thank you. To my understanding, to be safe and avoid damage I have two options:

a) Keep 8.5J all around but switch rear tires to 245/45/19
b) Replace rear wheels with 9.5J version and keep 275/40/19 tires

Which one would you say is a better option for handling/driving experience?

Im also thinking of selling the winter set as is and getting winter tires for my current summer setup - style 648M 20".
Appreciate 0