View Single Post
      09-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #2
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_L
This is really getting to me. Why did they stop making Service manuals available through Bentley? I was able to get one for the E39, and I've seen them for the E65/66 so sometime between then and now they just stopped offering them. Bentley has no answer for me, BMW Customer Service won't give me an answer.

It pisses me off when a simple procedure is made difficult because you have to figure out how to take stuff apart rather than just checking the manual. For instance, I had to replace the back part of my center console. If I had the manual, I would have known that the side carpet slides forward and unclips and there are 4 screws, which when removed lets the whole thing slide off. Instead, I pried at the climate control, pried at the vents, pried at everything to try to get it off, breaking the vents in the process requiring a replacement. I would have gladly spent the $300 on a Bentley manual to save the money I've spent, and will spend, replacing stuff thats broken in the process of trying to remove it.

Perhaps a Master Tech would be able to do this stuff without a manual. Sorry not me. My only ASE certification came in Engine Performance, and that was like 15 years ago. Everything else I'm not real good at, so I need a manual.
Most service manuals were not sanctioned by the manufacturer.

Typically, they are created by reverse engineering.
Appreciate 0