GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
To answer your question: the current demand for autonomous electric cars is equal to the total revenue of the uber, Lyft & taxi industry. Once autonomous EV reaches a level where it works safely, Having a driver in a taxi is as necessary as having a lift operator in an elevator.
Well, I just did European Delivery and part of it is they have a Sixt driver pick you up at the Munich Airport. This is actually our 2nd ED with that Sixt service, but this time we decided to stay in Munich for a few days so we asked the driver if it was possible to hire him ... turns out Sixt has Lyft-like service called MyDriver with a similar app.

The wallet doesn't like it, but we used MyDriver about 10 times to get around Munich. There was something so awesome about walking around all day on tours and then having essentially a small limo waiting for you: the driver standing there with the door open, takes your bags, and there are beverages / treats waiting in the back.

And it really wasn't that expensive relatively speaking, like 30ish euro or 50ish if you want a business van or full size luxury car (i.e., 7 series or S class)

And it's coming to the US soon.

So my point in all of this is, while I can see a lyft-autonomous car future, I think it's a long LONG way out and we're much more apt to see MyDriver in Teslas.

Because if they get that in the US I would use it at least once a week and definitely for anything travel related.

In the meantime here's a cool pic I took one day almost by accident (by the Goog campus): I was trying to shoot the autonomous Waymo car across the intersection but another one came by right as I clicked the shutter:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylengraver View Post
Sometimes I wonder - who are the people in charge of programming these machines to deal with real traffic situations?
... are they also skilled drivers with years of real life driving experience and relevant training?
Well I snapped this about 1 mile from the Google campus by the Mountain View public library. It's some kind of electric trike thing, if that tells you anything

Appreciate 0