01-12-2017, 05:14 PM   #16
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by David70 View Post
I am a runner so I understand this part better than the rest (5k's, 10k's, half and full marathons, and over 25 years).

If you want to build stamina, forget the 1-2 mile runs every day. Do it every other day and stay on the treadmill or outside for 30 minutes. If this means jogging slowly or run/walking (run 2 minutes/walk 1 or some other interval but the same throughout the whole 30 minutes) you will build endurance far more than running for 8-16 minutes every day (and total exercise time will be less than doing it everyday). This will also work better than the 30-60 minutes on a stationary bike.

If or when you can jog 30 minutes straight then you can do this 2 days a week and then do some type of interval training starting at 1 day a week.

Also, if talking about interval training you can do it in any weather or on the treadmill. Find a street with virtually no traffic, two blocks long, run in the street. Sprint a block, jog a block, turn around and do it again. Do this for 20 minutes. Or on the treadmill run 6 minute mile for 2 minutes, jog for 1, or whatever is hard but doesn't kill you and that you can do a number of repeats. Depending on your current fitness level you may need to wait until you can job for 30 minutes straight.

I am in a running group and my wife and the group ran on Sat., it was 3F out and had snowed, they ran 5 miles. I went to the gym and ran 6, just didn't want to deal with it. I think she called me something as she got up at 7 on Sat. and I was still asleep.
Op,

The above is a legit, results focused running work out. This will make you better conditioned and faster, guaranteed.

Pro endurance athletes don't train by mileage they train by time. Training by time makes perfect sense for you since you play a timed game with a typically number of snaps.

In addition to your strength and conditioning you need to work on speed and agility drills. Up, back, side to side, etc... Look up football agility drills.

Plenty of these out there..... and they work.