02-15-2016, 04:58 AM   #128
walile
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Not really.

Even though I really love V12 engines and as a matter of principle applaud BMW for continuing to make them, from a technical and performance perspective there is really no point to them. They're heavier and more expensive, while not delivering a substantial power advantage (at least in the present case, as well as with the AMG engines).

It's really all about prestige, the show factor and being able to say I'm driving a more exclusive engine. Otherwise, there is no objective advantage any more.

I'm also surprised at the weight of this thing. In EU trim 2255kg! That is enormous, even considering all wheel drive and the long wheel base.

Another factor that I can't quite understand is why they place the turbo chargers outside of the engine V, and not inside as almost all modern car makers do (for better throttle response, to minimise turbo lag). Maybe BMW thought that with 6.6l displacement this is not really necessary.
The 750Li xDrive weights 4610lb per BMW USA website

The 760Li xDrive weight 4806lb per this Article

It is not certain how much of the difference are due to the larger motor, as it could also be the result of additional standard equipment on the M760i. The difference while significant, really isn't that bad. To put it into perspective the M760i weight about the same as the S63 4Matic with 5.5L V8.

Since this motor is borrowed directly from Roll Royce, obviously the turbocharger layout and location are retained. I really don't think turbo lag is going to be a concern with this motor.

Novitec and Mansory have tuned this V12 to 708hp and 740hp on the Rolls Royce Ghost and Wraith. I think we will see the M760i run high 11s 1/4 mile stock and maybe into the high 10s with a tune.
Appreciate 0