View Single Post
      08-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #21
tallshortguy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blipit_ View Post
ALMS was more strict as they more closely followed ACO regulations. Tudor/IMSA still use ACO regulations as a basis for their rules book, but they have been applying more liberal waivers to homologation rules. Not sure how much further IMSA will let teams circumvent homologation rules.

Really talking about two different things. Factory teams in GTE/GTLM run under ACO/IMSA regulations. The top dogs in GT racing. Versus what you mention above privateer teams running Z4 GT3 customer cars. Like Turner in GTD in Tudor. Which like you said are running very well this year. The Z4 GT3 has also done quite well in races like 24hr Nurburgring and 24hr Spa. But when it comes to GTLM they have not been themselves for the last 2 1/2 seasons and by that I mean winning. When I say BMW might pull out of GTLM, I do not think that means all of GT racing. For example private teams like Turner Motorsports would continue to run the Z4.

Rules will definitely need to be addressed in the next few years. This will especially happen now that you see even Ferrari going forced induction with the 458 refresh. Part of the reason why I see BMW taking another break from the GTLM class until the rules book has been addressed.
Team VDS who has been successful in the GT3 racing over there is a works team as far as I know. GTE is obviously a higher spec but derived from the same program, so that's why I think their success in GT3 means they won't drop out. Besides, RLL finished second in 2012 and 2013 in the team championship. I don't see BMW abandoning who has been a good partner for them in the US.

I do agree and I think some rules will be addressed in 2016 season. IMSA is having a hard time keeping the GTE cars, with many manufacturers going turbocharged I think they will want to attract them to build more turbo cars.
Appreciate 0