08-26-2016, 12:31 PM   #5
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewQ View Post
As someone who has driven both cars and owns one of them, I love the S-Class. It's a fantastic car, and it does some things better than the 7-Series. I could easily understand why someone would prefer it or consider it a better product.

But I have never seen a comparison trash the new 7-Series this much. Even in other matchups where the S-Class wins, and does so on the back of legitimate advantages, the 7-Series was never so insulted or viewed as unfavorably. It was certainly never called "cheap" or viewed as behind the times. Every other professional organization (and many non-professional organizations) with the opportunity to review, no matter which one wins, call it a close contest.

This video just seemed like a list of the things the S-Class does extremely well pitted against the things the 7-Series does just a little less well, plus some personal preferences presented as facts, with a few questionable assumptions and assertions thrown in.

It's a video for fun, and we can't take it too seriously.
Agreed. I just think they took things a little too far, for example, taping sports equipment all over this beautiful car, and being so dismissive of some of the legitimate breakthroughs (like the use of carbon fiber). What they failed to report is that the weight savings (300+ lbs) was vs. the outgoing 7 Series. Instead, they focused on the 80lb advantage this new 7 has over the S.

I've driven both cars (indeed, the S was in the running when I was deciding what to buy), but at the end of the day, the BMW philosophy prevailed, so that's what I went with.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0