View Single Post
      11-27-2015, 09:42 PM   #21
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by See5 View Post

I wouldn't call the Boss a "one-trick pony" at all. Very balanced vehicle. It's only problem is it's lack of front end grip. If it could fit 275's up front, it would be much quicker. The 1LE is quicker around a track but I don't think it's as fun to drive IMO.

Besides that, the Boss's V8 is probably one of the best V8's I've used. Much more character than the LS3 stock for stock, and more robust and unique as well.

Now the GT and GT500 are different stories...
60/40 weight balance isn't "balanced". The reason it's a "one trick pony" is that they didn't design it with the ability for it to "grow" for these different disciplines, like having it be able to fit wide rear tires for drag racing or whatever, but also being able to fit wide front tires for the track. Then there's the brakes, which had the fade issues compared to the camaro, which significantly affected it's times around the track. And most importantly, there's the solid rear axle. The car in general has so many things going against it to start with.

It might have a decent engine, although the torque curve on the LS3 is pretty hard to beat, but the Achilles Heel is the chassis, which was kind of designed without the foresight for all these things, hence keeping it restricted to a pretty narrow performance band. It seems to have been designed as the "ole straight-line muscle car".

That's changed now. The GT350R isn't "earth shattering" compared to the Z28, but it's up there and not suffering from all the same inherent limitations of the previous generation. That is what's exciting. If anything, Ford has matched the Z28, but that in itself is miles ahead of where they were a few years ago, when their offerings didn't seem "serious". And doing this at a lower pricepoint does start to get pretty impressive. It's like they designed the current chassis with these things in mind this time

Last edited by RM7; 11-27-2015 at 09:52 PM..
Appreciate 0