View Single Post
      06-10-2015, 10:33 AM   #38
bizzyqu
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive

So an update. I have managed to test drive the M235i xDrive, Golf R, and a GLA45 AMG. The M235i felt very familiar to the power and finish I am used to in my 335i but was happy to see it was a much nimbler car which I miss from my e90. The Golf R really impressed me, I could totally see myself owning own and living with it every day and definitely kept pace with the M235i in performance. The GLA was the one that disappointed me for a $60k+ car. The power was there but god was it awkward. The M235i has the ZF8 speed that is in my 335i, shifts are instant and power can be drawn from all over the rev range, the Golf's DSG shifted pretty much as quick as the ZF and felt fine (a little hesitation from a stand still, but manageable and avoidable once I got a better feel of it), the GLA's transmission was honestly a joke especially in manual mode where shifts felt like an eternity (as bad as the auto box in an old e46 330i we used to have), power was there but only at the top of the rev range, but the transmission doesn't like hanging out up there so it resulted in a very unpredictable and unnerving experience. So I can now cross the GLA off the list, its a neat car but no where near worth the price they are asking for it, especially when you factor in the car doesn't have push button start, keyless entry, and has what is quite possibly the worst application of an infotainment system known to mankind.

I now will have to wait and see what is going on with the 2016 R's and how realistic it will be to secure one for a March delivery compared to being able to get into a new M235i lease this fall.