Thread: USB Hard Drives
View Single Post
      01-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

@cracker123: Not sure what formats the system supports with the latest firmware out there as it's been almost 2 years since I tried all the different formats to see what the car would actually support and let me play back. I do remember that back when I tried all sorts of different settings, that the original firmware did not support playing lossless mp4 files but did support almost all other mp4 formats. I wasn't too surprised about this since the lossless mp4 format I was using was from the iTunes program and that is as far as I know a proprietary Apple mp4 format. Maybe the latest firmware releases support this format since the new (MY 2011 I believe) now allow you to play mp4 directly from an iPod/iPhone via the USB cable through your car stereo (meaning the car stereo is actually decoding/converting the mp4 file into analog signal vs the iPod/iPhone in previous systems where you still had to use the Y cable with the analog audio output).

WAV files are no problem as those are the same format as what a CD normally contains anyway.

@dbs600: Ok, now I understand what you are trying. Not sure if that would make much of a difference. I assume you are using an external HDD that also requires an AC adapter for power?!?
You have to use the glove compartment USB interface to transfer your music onto the cars HDD not the center console USB interface!
I would just transfer the files onto a USB memory stick, plug it into the glove compartment USB socket and import your music that way...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0