View Single Post
      10-29-2017, 11:32 PM   #3
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
so laggy gm throttle response is not an issue for you?

i found that issue in my c7 diminished rhr fun factor significantly
Speaking from my LS3, I don't know if it's so much that it's overly-laggy or that it really comes alive above 4K or so, the torque is very flat, for a NA engine, it doesn't seem to rev fast, until you get it in that zone, IME. So it may be that you can cruise in such a ridiculously low gear that there's no way it's going to rev fast, even though it'll still pull. It would happily ride around 1000 rpm without lugging, but hitting the gas only slowly brings it up and if you want to go fast in a hurry, you're going to need skip some gears. I came from a manual turbo 4 to the LS3, which revved much faster, so I know what you mean. It's also known that the gears are fairly wide apart, that's got its advantages and disadvantages. Still, this didn't seem to be a concern when I drove it, different, but one of those things I have to question whether or not it makes any real difference, vs. the perception that it does.

We see something similar I think with people complaining about the BMW 2.0 and 3.0 turbo engines as having noticeable and bad "turbo-lag". Due to the torque curves and full torque at ridiculously low RPMs (for turbo engines), there's simply no way it's "turbo-lag". It's a combination of the throttle response and simply driving in too high of a gear or the transmission having to shift a couple gears to get you well into the power range. It's not going to accelerate terribly fast from 1300rpm, but you sure aren't making a lot of power at that RPM, so it's not going to go like it got kicked in the rear end either. It's quite different than my old car though where if you were below the 2.8K or so line, there were situations where it would NOT climb into the turbo range when you pushed the pedal down, it would bog down and you had no choice but to shift.

So no, it doesn't bother me, perhaps this is tweaked with these cars, but I also wouldn't want it overly twitchy/sensitive too, which would break the wheels loose easier on contaminated surfaces. We'll see.