United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Hmmm. A bit disappointed here.

I love the new iDrive.

However:

- Drivers assistance seems weak compared with the Mercedes system which can actually steer the car. The BMW system is more lane departure prevention which is not new and unfortunately let's the car drift very close to the line rather than actively steering it in the center of the lane.

- Weight savings are also small. @scott26 said 200kilos. This article is saying 136 kilos. I think Scott has been bullshitting us for a while with hype. 136 kilo weight reduction seems incremental. I was expecting CFRP to change the game.

Will stay tuned though. Not ruling out buying one but at this point I can't say I won't get a Benz instead.

The weight of the body HAS been reduced by over 200kg, but as another articles has stated some is offset but the addition of new technologies...like 4 wheel steering. Regardless the new 740 will weigh 1715kg, which is similar to the current 535, and is over 250lbs lighter than an A8 or S class with a similar engine which is impressive. Also it's important to note a lot of the weight has been taken from the top of the vehicle which will lower the center of gravity significantly.
Appreciate 1