TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
If it is a publicity stunt then why have we achieved the impossible with the accomplished i3 and i8? It is an achievement because we know of good authority Mercedes-Benz are 5-6 years behind with VAG at least 5 and Porsche at 10 years in building Carbon fibre bodies for volume models.
The weight of the new 7er will be disclosed very soon but i can tell you it is far lighter than an equivalent S-Klasse. And to think these similar savings will be passed on to the G30 5er. And eventually the G20 3er.
While that's great that BMW is acknowledging the weight on their cars, I think the concern is BMW isn't doing enough to be competitive in this segment. Mercedes does luxury the best and that's on full showcase with the S-Class, what the S-Class brings and provides fits what people think of this segment. The 7-Series goes for the driving experience but the problem is, while it drives great in it's class, it's not BMW great. I don't remember anyone who has driven/owned a 7-Series say this is proper BMW driving - it's great, but not BMW great. The other problem is the cabin. There's just no comparison. So the 7-Series doesn't have the driving it deserves or should have and doesn't have the cabin either, so what exactly am I paying for? I'm sure it's still a great car but you put the 7-Series next to the S-Class, chances are the most will pick the S-Class.
Appreciate 0