Oaktree
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 - 2010 M3 - 1999 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///S65 View Post
Just my 2 cents:

Bringing CF to the 7 series isnt for laptimes or anything like that. Being the flagship model of BMW, the 7 series is also a technology demonstrate vehicle for BMW group. Its a glimpse of technologies that will roll down to the lower models. Now BMW has invested tons of money into CF mass manufacturing research simply because CFs are expensive. Will BMW introduce the technology with 3 series? No way that will happen because the low price of 3 series doesnt allow implementation for expensive CF structures. Did Audi start all aluminum body with an A4? No they did with the A8.
In my opinion BMW is on the right track and I cant wait to see further implementation of CFRP.
Correct. Technology trickles down, it always has. Its clear mass production of CFRP can work but in the volume of a 3 series or 5 series would be next to impossible at this point in time. I think BMW is still learning a lot about production and repair.

I hope the 730 in the pictures is the taxi cab variant and the 750's have a more refined exterior look. Here's to wishful thinking
Appreciate 0