View Single Post
      03-18-2017, 05:55 PM   #22
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

I thought that the Porsches were not as long as they are; from what I have found, they have a total length of about 172 to 175". This means that in order to cram one into the garage I have available, I am going to have to loose some weight if I want to be able to get into the chest freezer at the back of the garage :-)

The IMS bearing situation is scary. If I was to buy a Porsche, it wouldn't rack up the miles, which means (if a susceptible model and year) it would be at higher risk. It's hard to believe that a high end manufacturer like Porsche could have had this problem over so many model years, and then done its best to stiff the victims of their design flaws. Whatever you think of BMW, my sense is that they would not do that.

There are several used Porsches for sale in the local market; none of them look to be anything I would really buy, but I might go have a look at them. If you have any comment on these couple, which I might view and or test drive, please let me hear it:

(1) A 2000 Boxster with about 43K miles on it. Multiple owners who supposedly (according to seller) took good care of it. Seller claims physical infirmities which make it hard now for him to drive the car, which is why he claims to be selling it. Asked seller about IMS bearing problem; he claims that the prior owner researched this and that the engine in the car was manufactured before the newer version that had these bearing problems, and that this was determined by the engine serial number. From what I have read, this is plausible. Obviously, this car would not accommodate my dog easily, don't know if the passenger airbag can be turned off in this model year, but I doubt it. Owner claims convertible top is perfect and opens and closes "like a Swiss Watch." Having owned some Swiss watches, I'm not sure this is a very good endorsement :-) Price is very high for what it is, something approaching $15K, way over NADA and KBB pricing, but then this is very low miles for the age. Don't have Carfax or Autocheck.

(2) A 2006 911 Carrera Coupe, with less than 28,000 miles. Multiple owners, looks like maybe 6. Completely clean Carfax and Autocheck. Priced a bit above $40K.

I don't think that either of these would be worth seriously considering, but I may go have a look at them if I have the time this coming week.

I probably should not buy anything. Buying cars is way more enjoyable than selling them :-) If I can just go through the entire exciting purchasing process but never actually pull the trigger, I think that would be a lot of good and free entertainment, with an educational component added in.

If you have any thoughts on either of the above vehicles I have described, please let me know.

TIA
Appreciate 0