View Single Post
      02-26-2024, 08:52 PM   #1
sammyj
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87

Hoping this helps other n00bs like me, but I wanted to share initial experiences after giving the g87 her first real bath. Track pack PPF and full ceramic (including wheels).

I went a bit off the deep end with products, but, I tried to balance it out. I’m also pretty lazy, so I wanted to optimize for quality to effort ratio (even if it increased my cost).

I started with a wheel cleaning - Meg’s ultimate wheel cleaner, with some soft wheel brushes from Adam’s and a mitt from The Rag Co (TRG). Then, hit it with some Gyeon Foam out of an iK sprayer, hosed down with a portable Ryobi power washer (electric is a problem and we are well invested into the Ryobi ecosystem).

Later that evening, I washed with ONR and a boatload of TRG Eagle 500 mfs, and dried with a TRG Gauntlet mf, along with some Griots Ceramic Speed Shine as a drying aid. Started by spraying the solution on with the iK. I found that it left my glass a bit hazy, so finished the glass with some Opti-clean. Also used a TRG “rip n rag” with the speed shine to touch up the wheels. Some thoughts:
  1. Wheels look incredible! Megs + soft brushes + speed shine is now my goto.
  2. The foam was a bit of a pain, I’m not sure that will be part of my normal routine. My car never really will get dirty enough, but who knows. Note, this may change if eventually I get a more powerful power washer and foam cannon.
  3. The ONR is nice stuff, and great to work with, but question: do you usually do a panel at a time, and then dry? Or wash the whole car and then dry the whole thing? I found myself not quick enough before the ONR started drying on me…
  4. Also, any thoughts on big red sponge vs a shitload of MFs? I hate having so much rag laundry…
  5. Griots Ceramic speed shine is fantastic stuff. I have to say, this is prob my fave product in the stack.
  6. The Ryobi is a bit weak but does the job and the convenience factor is hard to beat.

Here’s my kit so far:

Water
  • 2x 5G buckets (Adams) - one for wheel stuff, one for ONR
  • 2x gamma lids
  • 1x dirt lock grit guard
  • 1x wheeled dolly
  • Ryobi 300psi handheld power washer

Chemicals
  • Meguiars Ultimate Wheel Cleaner
  • Griots Ceramic Speed Shine
  • ONR
  • Opti-clean for all purpose stuff
  • Griots spray on car wash for in-betweens

Applicators and media
  • iK pump Foam Pro 2
  • TRG Eagle 500gsm (used a 4 pack) for washing
  • TRG Gauntlet for drying
  • TRG Cyclone Ultra wheel mitt
  • TRG rip n rag MFs - 30 pack (recommend, these have been useful)
  • Adams wheel woolie angled brushes (med, large)

The TRG stuff has been awesome, as have the Griots and Optimim products. Pretty much happy with all things so far. I’ll keep updated as I find new things!

What does your kit look like? Any must haves that I’m missing, or that specifically make life easier? Next I’m going to figure out a way to dry and store these MFs, and maybe a dedicated glass cleaner (although the opticlean did a good job!)
Attached Images