SkipSauls
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 35d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotM5 View Post
The "active hybrid 7" logo on the C pillar looks silly. Having it on the trunk is enough.

While I agree that it's a bit much, I would bet that BMW is doing the same thing that other manufacturers are by playing to the egos of hybrid owners. At least in the USA the manufacturers have been told by their customers that they want hybrids to be more distinctive, with "hybrid" and other "green" badging. I'm sure that some own hybrids for the right reasons, but I'm also sure that many of them do so in an attempt to feel better about themselves.

As for "Americans and their big engines", not everyone here subscribes to that notion. I'd love to see BMW offer their smaller engines, especially the diesels here, but I understand that they're unsure of the market. It would be interesting to see what a diesel-electric hybrid could do. Using some of the same hybrid technology with the 23d engine, a "535d active hybrid" (where the "35" comes from the 23d + electric power) might be attractive. If it got 30+ MPG city and 40+ MPG highway, people would probably be very interested, especially if it had sub-6 second 0-60 performance. Put the same thing in the 1 or 3 series and shoot for 50 MPG, which would totally freak out the Toyota Pious crowd... Or in the X1 and shoot for the 30+MPG/40+MPG mark, which might make it the hottest thing in the stable, at least in the USA.
Appreciate 0