Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I've been through leadership courses (Primary Non-Commissioned Officer's Course - PNCOC (prior to promotion to Sergeant) and Basic Non-Commissioned Officer's Course - BNCOC (prior to promotion to Staff Sergeant)). They taught you about the qualities of leadership. Things like integrity and accepting responsibility and morale courage (you know, the things all politicians lack). They were instrumental in focusing one's mind on the things that help make successful leaders.

And I've taken courses on the science of leadership, which is a different animal but still important. Things like personality traits of those who work with you and how groups perform and so on.

Both valuable studies. Natural leadership is a seed. With the right training, it can be cultured and grown into a powerful tool. I've seen "leaders" who just don't have the gift despite all the training. And I've seen leaders who needed little training, but just some fine tuning. The "naturals." But in both cases the practice of studying and training for leadership is valuable and not to be dismissed. It's always worth the effort.
I totally agree!! During my time in the Air Force, I graduated from Squadron Officers School, from Air Command and Staff College and from Air War College. All had emphasis on both management and leadership. Yes, there are born leaders, but I saw many great leaders who blossomed with training.
Glad you guys weighted in. I work with Veterans and it is clear that our military has an excellent process to train and develop leadership skills. Unfortunately, it seems to make rejoining the "normal" world a bit of a drag, so I understand the cynicism about the run-of-the-mill corporate 'leaders' who are just appointed bigshots (unfortunately, we are dealing with more than a few of that type as well - the 'never mind what works, this looks better on paper' crowd).
Appreciate 2
M_Six16963.50
SakhirM410784.50