01-12-2018, 11:11 AM   #12
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Agree, I also think that all the manufacturers have further broadened their respective offerings and now there are micro segmentation for buyers to choose from which means that there will be less numbers for any one particular segment. (ie: new 8 series coming, new X7 coming, 6 GT, 6 Gran Coupe etc...which in the past was rather less segmented...you had the classic 'you can have any colour you wish as long as it is black' so choice was more limited and many other factors...
Really great observation. There have been more entrants attacking this segment that was, a decade ago, pretty much owned by BMW and Mercedes (and, arguably, Audi and Lexus). Luxurious super-sedans head and shoulders above other mainstream marks, but a step below those of Rolls-Royce, Bentley, etc. Within the past ten years, we've seen the emergence of a rebounding Maseratti (Ghibli), the introduction of the first four-door luxury sedan by Porsche (Panamera), the rise of Tesla Models S and X, not to mention Hyundai's Genesis brand (G90, specifically) which has been garnering a lot of praise in the automotive press. There's a LOT more choice (read: competition) now in the $75K~$100K segment. It'll be interesting to see where BMW and Mercedes take the next versions of their super sedans in the face of so much competition.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0