View Single Post
      03-08-2024, 05:59 AM   #7
F90bmwmastertech
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 F90 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrby View Post
The ambient air temperature for my G12 is not reading correctly and seems to be reading a higher temperature than it really is. Yesterday it was around 81°F, but it read 90°F. This is admittedly a champagne problem but the issue I’m having is when my car preconditions in the morning it thinks it’s 78°F when it’s really 67°F. I run hot so I like colder temperatures but when you’re just wearing shorts and a t-shirt, it’s already 67°F and you hop into a car that’s even colder than that, it’s quite a shock. Not sure when this issue started but I did read that for some BMW’s the ambient air temperature is around the lower part of the front bumper. I’m not sure if that’s the case with the G11/12 but I did install a front splitter a couple of months ago and I’m worried that I may have damaged the ambient sensor in doing so. Or is this a common issue with G11/12s? Any information would be absolutely appreciated!!
I can tell you that, as a BMW dealer mastertech, its possible you need a new instrument cluster. I had a g12 a few months ago that would read about 5-15 deg off and we started with a new ambient air temp sensor, no change, checked the wiring, no fault, ended up being the instrument cluster. If your car is under warranty bring it in and make them fix it. The ambient air temp sensor is on the passenger side behind the wheel well trim so its alot less likely to mess it up than on some of the older eseries cars.
Appreciate 0