02-06-2018, 04:54 AM   #32
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
Agree about the folding mirrors, will give the other key fobs a go when I'm back home again and let you know, certainly many of the settings (if not all) that the driver has set are recorded to that driver profile and then attached to the key fob that has unlocked the door...be aware of a quirk with that (I think I read on the delivery thread from TheBry? on here...the display key and one of the regular key fobs are driver 1 and the 2nd regular key fob is driver 2 so mix them up at your settings peril IIRC. I'll try the rain sensor stalk setting and see if it remembers that is active or not (the button on the end of the stalk to activate the rain sensor)...if you were only talking about the speed of the intermittent wipers, when they are activated, yes, that is a thumb wheel mechanical setting and was also on the F series 7's as well.
This has changed in the cars since you brought you one. They now have stalks that stay in place so the indicators for instance move down and stay down until you cancel them. Kind of like indicators do on most other makes of cars. This for me is awesome as despite having BMW's for so damn long I still occasionally go to cancel a 3 blip move signal to find it's just cancelled automatically... which results in me indicating to go the other way.

This surely has to be the reason BMW owners get it in the neck more than most for not using their indicators but finally they've fixed it.

I cannot remember fully but I think like 325_buck says the automatic rain wipers is moving the stalk down a notch which it'll stay when the car is off. The button on the end to enable that isn't the case anymore.

Quote:
Maybe worth knowing of another nice but small feature of the G series: the hold button can be activated permanently and does not need to be put on each time you get in the car. Even when you put the parking brake on the hold button remains on and is separate. (it used to deactivate when you put the parking brake on, on the F series). So, you don't need to activate it each time in the car and the profile and key fobs remember this.
Yeah looking forward to giving that a proper whirl as while most 5 series have it the M5 doesn't. Don't believe it works with the DCT gearbox. Do you use it all the time?

Quote:
Love the comment about 'impressing the ladies' Thanks! (needed that laugh after a rather long day travelling yesterday, up at 4 AM and finally at hotel at 9 PM...so the laugh was great!
Happy to amuse

Quote:
14 cm doesn't seem like much difference, I have to admit, so interesting to know...I could even move the garden shed just enough to fit one in maybe... Agree that your 4 wheel steering will be tighter radius than I have, but those 14 cm are on top of the 30 cm we already 'poke' out of the 4.8 m parking spaces! so you'll be 44 cm sticking out...I find about 20 cm one can get away with out the front where other cars pass, so am guessing you'll need to be overlapping the back space by 24 cm as well...or thereabouts. Or end spaces...but 44 cm hang over out front alone is going to be an issue for cars passing in front in a car park if you are near corners, etc...so some judicious parking ninja skills and contemplation is going to be needed. (lovely to have the rear seat space if someone is in there though!)

Hopefully the turning radius will help with the drive throughs and such tight corners in car parks...the surround view does help when in such spaces (I turn it on manually when I enter the car parks) as it helps to check you aren't going to hit and to ensure you don't curb the rims. There is a nice view that lets you ensure you don't curb on the pax side when parking on normal streets btw....as well as a car wash view to help align the wheels so they don't get curbed there as well. (car washes may be sacrilegious to you lot? I can't be bothered to do it by hand personally so this is a nice feature for me).

Greetings from Northern Sweden! (not with the car though!)
Your right, some places the parking is just going to be a nightmare and I'll hopefully just park well out of the way so not causing problems for others. Probably will be overhanging on a space behind where the spaces aren't big enough.

Cars are just getting bigger, quite a few cars end up overhanging bays these days. Hopefully it means people won't get too annoyed about it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325_bucks View Post
Car wash

On that subject, FastLaneJB are you planning on doing any protection on the car? I've instructed my dealer not to go near it with any washing or pre delivery prep work, and it's booked in for a new car detail and ceramic coating soon after collection. They even asked me if I wanted the white film left on but I thought that would be going too far!
Agree, car wash is a no-no!

So good question and I've not decided on protection. I have in previous years paid for the dealer to do it but I don't think they did an amazing job last time. I've a guy a couple of houses down that does detailing and got him to nano coat my M5 but not before it got a few stone chips on it Though I know those don't stop it but it might help a bit but also can help with people being careless near your car in a carpark.

Likely if he can fit it in I might pick it up and see if he can coat it pretty much straight away.
Appreciate 0