Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerslide View Post
And no one should be disappointed either. 918, LaFerrari, P1, NSX, i8 - the technology is already there to make hybrids have much higher performance than pure combustion engines- and without being heavier than current pure internal combustion powered performance cars - it is just a matter of time until that technology trickles down (pun intended) to the price point of where more "mainstream" performance cars are currently priced - like the F8x. Look at how positive of reviews the i8 has already received from a driving dynamics perspective without even being an M car (and yes - it weighs less than an M3/M4 too). It is inevitable that the price of performance-oriented hybrids will keep coming down. I believe a hybrid M4/M3 one or two generations out will be even more fun that the current model (which I still cannot get enough drives in)!!!
So I've discussed this before on the i8 forum. Here's the issue with the i8, 918, La Ferrari, etc. If you look at the practicality of the i8 architecture it just doesn't fit the "normal" sedan architecture that provides ample passenger space and luggage space. The i8 body is almost completely dedicated to its dual-type drivetrain. The i8 (and the others like it) basically have two seats and small trunks. The i8 has no real useable back seat (BMW actually offers fitted luggage for it) and 5 cubic feet of trunk space, all due to the size of the drivetrain. None of that architecture will "trickle down" to real passenger cars.

So thinking you are going to get a 340i size car with 0-60 times of 4 seconds and 55 MPG using the i8 drivetrain architecture, it's not going to happen. To get more room in the car the i8 drivetrain needs to be reconfigured and reduced in size, which means reduced performance and power to achieve the MPG targets. We already have cars that the dual-type hybrid drivetrain has been shrunk and de-powered to increase MPG and add passenger/luggage space. These cars are the Volt, the plug in Prius, the Camry/Accord/Fusion hybrids etc. Where the dual-type (electric and ICE) drivetrain has been repackaged, shrunk, and fitted all under the hood so the vehicle has useable 4/5 passenger space and real luggage capacity.
Yes - I see your point and I do not disagree with it.

However - the current i8 architecture and technology will be fairly outdated in the not-to-distant future - so with future hybrid tech - this all will fit into a sub-3500 lb family sedan priced roughly equivalent to the current M3/M4 (adjusting for inflation). Just a question of time...
Appreciate 0