03-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #22
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelo Cat View Post
We may be pleasantly surprised but yeah, expecting it to be a whack more...indeed do feel it will be better in quality and features over the older one at least. (as well as less obvious and less 'please nick me' )

Personally, I'd be in two minds about getting it installed before delivery....at the end of the day, you have a good relationship with the dealer and are known so shouldn't be a problem, just that I'd be cautious and get the car first, make sure no issues or 'rattles' and then get it installed so you know it was all good before and then after...as I've heard to wire the ACE's you have to remove some of the interior and the clips are notorious for breaking...so a good dealer will know this and sort it well, and your dealer must be good so no issue when you get it installed...mine, well, I may go elsewhere to get it sorted. Decent enough but not the best to be honest.

As its all BMW kit, no issues in getting it sorted in any case should anything happen during install or affect anything but I'd want to separate the two personally. (get car, ensure car okay, then install this to known all okay situation, instead of wondering if any issues are due to car or the install).

Personality point I guess really and trust in one's dealer.
You make a good point there in fairness and removing parts of the interior always does worry me for exactly those reasons.

When I got the M5 after a short while I had an issue where the car would display a "Warning no alert tones" on the iDrive. It would then crash and reboot on it's own. Didn't do it all the time but it was annoying and all my previous cars the iDrive has never once crashed. I forget the name of the unit as they call it but they checked it out and replaced the computer that runs the entertainment / nav side of the car. Thankfully car came back with no rattles of any kind, all still nice and solid.

I rejected my C63S in the end for these kind of problems. Day I picked it up a piece of trim fell off the car. It made all sorts of rattles in the front dash that in fairness they eventually solved but the one that utterly bugged the hell out of me was the speakers. They would make this noise even when you had it off at certain speeds and road types. They weren't quite sealed into the doors correctly. Playing some kinds of music as well they'd sound awful because of that movement of the speakers in the doors.

The dealer I got the car from initially could notice the issue, then when I said I'd had enough refused to acknowledge there was even an issue there. In the end had to take it to another one of their chain of dealers for a second opinion, the mechanic there was honest when went out with me and said he could hear it straight away. They even had a technical fix from Mercedes they knew about on how to fix it which was to break all the plastic clips in the car and hot glue gun the speakers in place. I wasn't happy with that at all on a new car so managed to get it rejected in the end but my god it was hard work.

Interestingly took Mercedes about 1 and a half years after that but they changed the way they clip the speakers in so new cars don't have those issues. Just had such a bad experience that I don't think I could get a Mercedes again in a hurry. That and their deals are just poor. That C63S as I specified it was around £73k if I remember right yet no discount as it was new model plus higher APR put the monthlies around the same as a M760Li. I mean it's a no brainer to go with BMW to be honest as long as they offer the best overall finance deals.

Still your right, I might split it out. I suspect probably I'll have to because they won't have one in time but could be wrong. See if you can actually get your hands on one soon.
Appreciate 0