01-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #14
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundguy1 View Post
You don't need 10 gears. That means its shifting every 7 miles of added speed. This doesn't look like its designed as a fuel sipper, uts supposed to be sporty. Duck's 335i is a world record quarter car ready to break into the 9s. Why? 2 gears, less shift time. After about 6 speeds it just seems like theyre adding more gears to be bragidocious. Hey. You have 8? I've got 10. Ha ha.
You bet it's part bragidocio because of the market for this car, which is not hardcore speed enthusiasts. It's the middle-aged upper-middle-class guy who wants the latest and greatest cruisemobile on his block full of middle-aged upper-middle-class guys.

Duck isn't trying to get its fleet to conform to government fuel efficiency standards. Lexus is -- and mostly with engines that are at least several years old in design. Fuel efficiency is the number-one reason these high-number auto boxes exist.

Finally: how do you figure the car shifts every 7 MPH? So the car's top speed is somewhere between 70 and 90 mph? It depends on how the car's being driven at the time ... and besides: I guarantee you the LC has at least one sport-oriented drive mode that eliminates 1-3 of the top gears from the mode. (The ZF8 in our BMWs eliminates the top gear in anything above Sport mode, for instance).
Appreciate 0