View Single Post
      02-16-2024, 02:23 PM   #6
pesik
Macedonia
Rep
Drives: F01 730d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatters20 View Post
Hey pesik, you may have already figured this out, but I'm wondering if there could be a low resistance short from your positive terminal to ground, somehow. I can't think of any other reason the jumper post would be getting hot (temperature), as this should be an end of line terminal, with no current through it normally unless jump starting. Seems like this might also explain the relatively high charging voltage.
I looked at mine, and the positive jumper terminal is mounted on an insulated plastic or fiber composite post. If that plastic melted away, maybe you're shorting to ground somewhere there?
I'm curious - is this post hot even after sitting for hours, not running?
By the way, kudos to you for tackling the timing chain job yourself - how long did that take you? Good luck.
Hello there,
Unfortunately I havent figured it out yet.
The red plastic cover is melted, not the whole assembly and it still does its job insulating the terminal. And it only gets hot while the car is running, which does make sense as this is the main connection where the alternator and the battery cable join together, I just cant find out why it gets so hot. The contact surface is properly sanded and cleaned. Maybe something to do with the alternator charging 15.3 volts?
It would be nice if you could check if your car is also charging around 15 volts? (i guess you also have a f01/f02)
And regarding the timing chain, this was the second time I did a timing chain job in my life, and it took me about a week to do it, as I was working by myself and only 5-6 hours daily (18:00 - 00:00).
Appreciate 0