View Single Post
      09-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #17
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
I had the opportunity to choose a management software, and the one I liked best was mac-based, so I decided to bite the bullet and go all-mac. There are pros and cons to running Apples in the office. The biggest pro by far is that I have not needed an IT guy other than to set up the server in the very beginning. Even that I probably could have done myself if I had the time... networking is fairly simple with macs, especially if you are doing things over wlan. The few issues I've had have been easy to troubleshoot myself, and over all, they have been trouble free. Everything just works. I can't say the same for my windows PCs at home... which always find ways to piss me off.

One huge con to owning macs in a business is that Apple drops support of older OS's and machines fairly quickly. At some point, your computers will not be able to run the latest Mac OS. Unlike, PCs, you cannot easily just upgrade parts to make it work. If you use a particular software that constantly gets updated, you will have to change all your machines when the software requires an OS version that does not run on your older mac. Windows recently dropped support of XP, but it was supported by MS for about 12 years. My 2008 Macs, on the other hand, only lasted about 4 (maybe less) before apple orphaned them. If you run the same programs that need no updates, then this is probably not a big deal.
Appreciate 0